Saturday, June 13, 2009

What's in a Name?

I'd like to explain the name for this blog. I had kind of wished for a name that'd need no explanation, but "What did he say?" is a reference to a couple of things that many of you probably don't know about my life.

The more clear meaning is probably that I've often felt like the things I say make no sense to the people around me. Sometimes I'm off in my own space-case mental world, focused on what's going on inside my own mind. I guess it's easy to assume that the mental connections that happen in my own mind will happen for other people, too, and I'm sometimes prone to assuming people will know more about what I'm talking about than they actually do. Clearly, some of the things I say come across as bizzare, nonsensical, or irritating.

The bigger reason I chose the name for this blog, though, was the sort of revelation I had early in 2008 about what Jesus Christ said. To me, regardless of whether any historical person said quite what is written in the bible, the parts of the bible attributed to Jesus Christ directly have a deep ring of spiritual truth to me. They are simple, brief, and somewhat repetitious.

Consider the possible interpretation, that Jesus Christ is no more and no less than the Spirit behind these words:

"Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me" (Mark 10:21).

"Love your neighbor as yourself." (Galatians 5:14)

For me, that's what he said. Who is the "me" mentioned in Mark 10:21? The spirit that says "love your neighbor as yourself".

No comments: