Monday, July 13, 2009

Quakers and Hurrying

So the ideas for this blog post have been bouncing around in my head for a couple months, but I just didn't get around to writing them down.

So I've been thinking about how it's so easy to never do today what could be done tomorrow instead... like writing a blog post about procrastinating, right?

Or like trying to help folks in Haiti be prepared for hurricanes.

The trouble is, when it comes to preparing for acts of God, isn't so useful to wait until afterwards to prepare.

So, feel free to say that I'm looking at things through rose-colored glasses way too much here, but I think there's a good side to "acts of God" or whatever you want to call them - the good side I'm seeing is that if life throws challenges at us, we often rise up to meet them and we really enjoy the process of learning to overcome them, too. Mind you, I could live without any challenges the size of hurricanes.

Anyway, one of the things that I think God sometimes does by giving me difficult circumstances in life, is tell me to get off my lazy duff and do something. You know, so I don't spend my whole life laying in bed thinking about how bored I am and how nothing that I do really matters to anybody anyway...

Bet I'm not the only person who needs a good kick in the butt to get up and do something useful. Wish it weren't quite so big a kick in the butt as, a bunch of people I know and like live in a village that could potentially be wiped out by hurricanes and flooding. D'oh! Well, at least there's a possible solution. Best estimate I've heard so far says that saving the village from erosion will require a wall that costs some $50,000 US dollars - well within reach for a well-organized fundraising campaign, especially since we've already got money lined up to cover about half this cost. Wanna help make the rest of it happen? Contact julianbrelsford //at'\\ gmail.com

1 comment:

stepash said...

wow! i'm lovin' this one :)